Happy Thanksgiving

I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart;
      I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done.
I will be filled with joy because of you.
      I will sing praises to your name, O Most High. 

~psalm 9:1-2


I have much to be thankful for this year. Oh there are things I could whine and complain about but they seem so trivial compared to the blessing that God has poured into my life. 


First and foremost, I'm thankful for my husband. It's not always been an easy road. We've almost fallen apart and have fought our way back to a stronger, solid, loving marriage. He is my best friend. He is my love. He is my rock here on earth. We have learned to stand as one in the face of the storm and to keep God firmly between us. I thank God each and every day for this man.


I'm thankful for my children. There are families all over who are without their children this year. I know personally of a few who won't see their children this holiday because their kids are sacrificing it all to serve our country. There are families who's children will never sit with them again, their lives have been tragically ended.  There are women (myself included) I know who have never had the opportunity to hold their children, their lives ended before they left the womb, either by God's choice or theirs.  Yes, I am grateful for my children and my step-children. Our kids are diverse, fun, loving, generous, filled with a joy for life and at times challenging but they are ours and I love them very much.


I'm thankful for my parents. There are a few women in my life, whom I dearly love, who are without their mothers now as they go through each day. I watch their faith hold them up and give them courage. They are an inspiration to me and it helps me to appreciate my mom even more.


I'm thankful for my health. I stated to whine because I was getting a cold and I thought about how it was going to make me tired and harder to make Thanksgiving dinner. Then I was reminded about these women who's story I've been following. They have cancer, they have families, young children. They have to face their own mortality. I no longer feel sorry for myself and my cold. I'm so very grateful that I get to walk through each day healthy and strong; not yet needing to examine my own mortality.


I'm thankful for all the friends that are in my life. The women who encourage me, lift me up, affirm me. The women who speak truth and life to me. The women who listen to me and let me cry on their shoulders. The women who encourage me as a mother and are transparent in their parenting so I know I'm not alone in my struggles. I'm thankful for my oldest and dearest friend who has stood by me even in my worst days, for the friendship we have that has been forged out of love and trials of life. I'm thankful for the couple who are old friends of ours but now have a new lease on life and the blessing of being able to watch their lives being transformed.


Last but not least and definitely the most important to me...I'm thankful for Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for me. I'm thankful that I've been forgiven and that I've experienced the renewing and the healing that can come only from Jesus. I'm grateful for the person I've become. I'm grateful that I can completely blow it and He's right there extending grace. I'm grateful that He's my provider, my comforter, my shelter, my shepherd. I remember the life I was living, the cold hard person I WAS and everyday I'm thankful He extended His grace to me and rescued me from that.


Thank you Lord for all you have given me, all my praise goes to you.


Happy Thanksgiving to all. 
I love you,
~kirsten









Comments

Popular Posts