so much to be thankful for

Thanksgiving.

It's my favorite day of the year. A day of family, friends and looking back on all God has blessed us with over the previous year. This also includes the trials He allows us to walk through. The trials, more than anything, help to mold my heart of thankfulness. I love the week leading to Thanksgiving because as I'm preparing a meal that pulls our family together, I really get to reflect on all I have to be thankful for.

I've been making a Thanksgiving dinner for 20 years now. Some years I attended one at my parents house or helped my Mema make dinner and most years I also cooked my own the day after, at my house. My Mema has taught, encouraged and walked me though many dinners. There were times when she'd be in California for the winter and I'd still have to call her to get tips or suggestions. She really helped to shape what Thanksgiving became for me and passed on the tradition to me, to make the big dinner that brings most of the family together.

Here are the past Thanksgiving that Randy and I have shared together...(our 2005 pictures seem to be missing...)

Mema and Esther ~ 2006

2006 

2007









Mema, helping me with gravy. I always needed her help with gravy...I still do.
This turned out to be her last Thanksgiving diner with us.  2008.

2008

2009 - We have very few pictures of this Thanksgiving. Mema was in the hospital and it was a more somber dinner.

2009 ~ My 30 lb free range turkey. I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of this bird.


2010


















Did you notice the theme of changing kitchens/dining rooms? In the spring of 2011, through much trial and testing, we were able to purchase our first home together and the last two Thanksgivings have been celebrated here.  The last two have been an extra blessing because some of Randy's family have begun joining us.


2011 ~ this is about the only picture we have. Not sure why we didn't get more of them.
Randy's mom, sister and brothers joined us for the 1st time this year.


2012


This year was quite different from other years because we had so many coming and some of the kids were able to make it this year. We wanted to do something different...Randy and I did not want a bunch of individual tables set up and when we figured out how to make one big table we were thrilled. Both sides of the family would sit together at one big table, as one family. 

making a wheat stalk bread centerpiece

Michael testing out the comfort of the table 
some things never change!


Grammy's reaction to Cody's surprise visit for Thanksgiving


we had 22 family members all together for dinner 

My mom, sister-in-law and I






I think they were all trying to avoid the camera!



finally an opportunity to sit

my wheat stalk 




Thank you Lord for all that you have provided us with this year, for all the trials you've been faithful through and for all the grace you've pour on us. 

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His faithfulness continues through all generations.
~ psalm 100: 4-5 (NKJV, NIV)








Comments

Popular Posts