My Sky Blanket

**UPDATED: added my mom's scarf

Last year on Pinterest I found a conceptual scarf. I thought it would be an interesting project to work on. The site says it comes out to about five feet long. As much as I love to knit, I knew if I made a scarf like this, I'd never wear it and really wasn't sure what I'd do with it.  My mom is doing this project also but she's going to hang her finished scarf on the wall.

My mom's conceptual scarf


I decided that I was going to crochet it instead and make a blanket but still wasn't sure what pattern I would use.

After much research, I decided I really liked this pattern from the Lion Brand website.

My next step was to choose the yarn. After looking at the local craft store I picked the same yarn brand listed in the pattern.

These are the colors I picked in Vanna's Choice
Dusty Purple to mark each month
Silver Grey for cloudy days
Denim Mist for partly cloudy, sunny days
Colonial Blue for mostly sunny days with little or no clouds
White for snowy days
Charcoal Grey for rainy, stormy days

I'm trying to do a composite of each day. For example, if it's cloudy most of the morning and then gets clear and sunny for the rest of the day, I do the octagon or square half of each color.


















To create my pattern, I took the Lion Brand pattern and pulled it into Photoshop.

Then:
  • I turned it on it's side
  • Copied it many times to different layers 
  • Overlaid the edges
  • Counted all the squares to ensure I'd have enough
  • Erased all the marking from the pattern
  • Printed it 
  • Then color coated and marked each month
I do have extra squares at the bottom but I'm just going to carry the last day of December across the bottom.

If you are interested in a copy of the pattern I made, I'd be happy to send it to you, just email me from my profile.






I'll post updates as I go through the year.  I'm a few days behind right now, I despise sewing the squares together.  Hoping I don't let myself get to far behind in the summer!

It's still not too late to join this project. There are a lot of really cool ideas on the Ravelry group.









Comments

  1. I love the colours that you have chosen and the idea of making a piece each day to match the weather. Looking forward to seeing the finished "Wall-Scarf".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts