reflections of the last year

Even with the ups and downs, I just love my life.  There's not a thing about it I don't like.  Fall is a time of nostalgia, reflection and looking to the future for me. Some of it is that I mark the passing of the years by the new school year and some of it is that with Thanksgiving right around the corner I tend to look at all I'm thankful for.  This year is no different...

So much has changed in my life over the last few years. I became a Christian 6 years ago. God did some amazing work in my life right away but I didn't really surrender it all till 2 years ago. Since then so much has changed. I've really learned what it means to be a wife, mom, friend, daughter, woman. It's been an interesting journey. I've learned to die to self when all I wanted to do was stomp my feet and get my way. I've learned (or should I say,  I'm LEARNING) to be gracious, set my pride aside, yield to others, be a friend, a helpmate, be supportive when I don't agree, I'm trying to give my kids room to be themselves, and most of all I'm learning to allow myself to feel emotions when they come. I've learned it's ok to mourn my child I've never held, to cry when I've been hurt, to be appropriately angry at the wrongs of this world and to be overly joyful with and for my amazing family and friends.


Thanksgiving '08
Thanksgiving has always been a joyous time for me.  Family comes together and I get to shower them with love and a warm home. This year is no different except I feel the hole of mema not being with us. I'm beyond grateful that I got to have one of my grandmothers until I was 37 years old but I miss her terribly. The Lord took her home this past January and this will be my first Thanksgiving without her advice, suggestions and company. She's the one that taught me the love of Thanksgiving and the joy of cooking for my family.  My husband and I leave an empty plate at our Thanksgiving table every year for those who can't be with us. This year that empty seat is going to be much more painful for me to look at but at least I know Mema is no longer in pain and running around with Jesus.


The past year has also been a test of faith for me. I began running in April of 2009, ran my first 5k in August and in September of 2009 signed up for my first marathon. I ran through the winter, through injuries, through fear, discouragement and doubt. I have had great triumphs and great failures in my training but through it all, Jesus was right next to me, encouraging me through each lonely mile on the road.  I got injured in March and the race was in April. I ran through the injuries, not very successfully and with a very defeated attitude. I had no idea how I was going to accomplish this task. My last run at the beginning of April was 20 miles and if not for my husband's honesty in telling me to suck it up and get it done because I HAD to, I don't think I could have made it through that run. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0oDrsXvvB4)
He encouraged me through more runs that I can count. One time during an injured 15 mile run, he'd go a mile or two ahead of me and wait, check on me, encourage me and push me forward.  When we got to California and finally got to drive the Big Sur race course I was excited, overwhelmed and very very worried. I prayed a lot during my training, it actually became a prayer time for me but I had no prayers looking at this course except for Lord Help Me!!  I wouldn't say the race was a great success but I finished it...barely. God sent a Christian woman to come along side me and encourage me through some of the hardest miles I faced. I'll never forget her name...Patty, because a dear friend of mine from home is also named Patty. Patty so wanted to be with me at this race to encourage and cheer me on. She helped me through some of my injuries, was a source of peace during that time and was a huge cheerleader for me at home.  This Patty in California did all those things for me also on the race course.  When I crossed that finish line, I couldn't wait to just collapse in my husbands arms. I just was overwhelmed by a huge range of emotions.  Raising kids has been the hardest, most challenging and rewarding thing I've ever done.  Running the Big Sur Marathon was...is the second hardest thing I ever did.  I don't think any other marathon I'll ever run will compare to this one in the challenges I faced because I didn't know what to expect and didn't think it could possibly be as hard as it really was. I thank God that I had the learning, growing experience and that because of HIM I made it across that finish line.

Right after finishing my 1st marathon
Looking out at the amazing Pacific Ocean



























In the last year my marriage has deepened and grown. I'm not sure if I can even find the words to fully describe what has happened. As we've grown in Christ our marriage has also grown.  My husband and I now fully work together as a team. God has truly joined us as one. We work together in unison in all decisions, big and small.

the only decent picture of us together in months!
It's fitting since it is on the west coast  and we both fell in love with California



We've moved three times now since July of 08 and we have no intensions of moving again for a very long time! This last move (July '10) took a huge toll on me but we feel like we are now home.
our 1st home together (about 3 years)

our 2nd home (for about 1-1/2 years)



3rd home (less than a year)

current and hopefully last home! 

We've both gotten involved in different ministries. My husband with worship and prison ministry and me with MOPS and a local crisis pregnancy center mainly in their abortion recovery program and running an abortion recovery group through my church.  I've also started homeschooling our preschooler. That eventually will become my full time ministry for awhile as she gets a bit older.  Without the support of our wonderful family, none of these would be possible!!!

As I look to the future, I can see my husband and I joining together to work side by side in some ministry. I also have plans to run more marathons. I'm signing up for NYC in a week or so but I'll have to wait for the results of the lottery drawing.  I'd like to run either a marathon or a half in the spring of '11. My husband and I desire to run Big Sur together in 2012. I look forward to running a race with him by my side.   Next year will also be our 5th wedding anniversary and we are planning on renewing our vows. I really look forward to our recommittal to each other and God in front of our family and friends.

This just touches on the surface of where we've been and what has happened this past year.  Even during the harder times, I'm very grateful for all I have.  God has truly blessed me.

Joel 2:25 "The Lord says, "I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten." And He has, abundantly.

Comments

Popular Posts