today is my favorite day

Anyone who knows me, knows that I live for summer. I love the heat, the sun, the colors, the smells and the activities. So you may be wondering why today, the day after the first day of winter, not the first day of summer is my favorite day.

Winter solstice - According to the farmers almanac, the word solstice comes from the Latin words for "sun" and "to stand still". That's what the sun does this time of year.  The last three days have had the same amount of day light. The sun has stopped falling southward in the sky and is taking a breath before it's long climb back north.

Starting today, the day is one minute longer. It's a long, slow process getting our daylight back. For example, by New Years day we will have only gained four more minutes of day light, but it's four minutes more than we have today!

It's the hope of what's to come that keeps me looking forward and excited about the future. The knowledge that under the dull slumber of nature, there is vibrant life just waiting to come bursting forth. It's interesting to see the comparison of the seasons to how I feel lately and the excitement that I'm feeling for the future, largely due to the the book study I'm involved in right now. I know Ann Voskamp's book won't cure all the spiritual dullness I'm feeling but I see God already using it in my life to bring forth the first sprouts of gratefulness, like those first crocus that peek through the frozen ground in early spring.  I believe I'm heading into a new spring in my life and God calling me to changes always excites me.

So today, the day after the sun stands still, I look forward to the coming spring, the freshness of life both outside and in my heart.




Comments

  1. Oh Kirsten it's so refreshing~I'm grateful for my fresh start with Him~beautifully written~blessings:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan. I'm so grateful that His mercies are new every morning! I need that fresh start each day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts