friends

I fully believe we humans are designed to need other humans. Some people need others too much and others could go weeks without needing to see another person. Me, I'm a social being. I was when I was a kid; we lived in Binghamton and my mom said I'd stand on the porch taking to every stranger that walked by. She was worried that someone would snatch me up. I have the same worries about my daughter, she seems too social sometimes. She invites strangers over for tea from the hair dressers.
The pains of life made me a very closed up person. I started to see only the negative in everyone and trusted very few people. All my "friends" were very shallow relationships. They all fell away when I stopped partying and stopped working. At 32 years old, I found Christ and finally started to grow up. It was painful to realize that these relationships were so shallow.
As I've become more involved in my church, I've developed new relationships. Authentic, honest, loving and trustworthy relationships. It's been food for a staved soul and it's been wonderful having these new relationships develop. I'm writing this because I find such great joy in my friends.
Esther and I just recently made a play date with a very dear friend and her daughter. I hope Esther and her turn into life long friends. I know I love her mommy and look forward to many years of friendship with her. Yesterday, I got to spend literally hours on the phone with my life long friend. I really don't remember a time in my life that she wasn't some part of it. We go weeks without really talking and then can just pick up where we left off. There is a deep comfort in having a friend like that. We are in different paths of our lives but we love each other and respect each others differences and I believe it strengthens our friendship. She is that comfy pair of jeans with holes that fits no matter what weight I am! Today I get to have coffee with a very new friend. It's a young relationship that I enjoy and look forward to where God's going to take it. She's smart, funny, a bit spunky and fun to be around. I love to bask in the energy she puts forward.
My greatest friend is my husband. He's my best friend, the one I would choose to spend time with over anyone. But I need need these wonderful female relationships. They provide a love, a perspective and need that just can't be filled by the wonderful man in my life.
God calls us to be a part of community. I'm blessed by the community in my life!


** I needed to edit this post to include my sweet pregnant friend I spent time with yesterday. I have no idea if she reads this but I didn't want her to feel discounted in my life if she does. She's such a part of my daily life (texting and prayer) that spending the morning with her yesterday felt like a natural part of my day.  I had a wonderful time today with my newer friend and look forward to connecting with two other amazing sisters in Christ next Thursday. Like I said, I'm blessed by the community God has placed in my life. 

Comments

Popular Posts